The State of the Africa Region spiced up the Saturdays seminars at the 2017 Spring Meetings with a panel discussion of high-level policy makers and private sector operators from Africa, moderated by Julie Gichuru, TV personality (Kenya) on the opportunities that Africa offers to new investors. Speakers included:
- Makhtar Diop, Vice President, Africa Region, World Bank Group
- Albert G. Zeufack, Chief Economist, Africa, World Bank Group
- Henry Rotich. Cabinet Secretary, National Treasury, Kenya
- Admassu Tadesse, President & CEO, PTA Bank
- Mahamudu Bawumia, Vice President of the Republic of Ghana and Head of Ghana’s Economic Management Team
The seminar provided an opportunity to reflect on the main trends shaping economic development in the region. The seminar also discussed key challenges and opportunities facing Africa amid a weak and volatile regional and global economic environment. A special focus will be on investing in Africa in uncertain times, outlining national and regional policies and possible coordination mechanisms with the international development community to boost and sustain quality investment in the continent.
The State of the Africa Region presentation held at the World Bank was followed by a panel discussion, including high-level policy makers and private sector operators from Africa. The panel took the opportunity to highlight the need for leveraging private sector investment to help fill Africa’s infrastructure gap as well as showcase early successes in this regard, calling attention to the opportunities that Africa offers to new investors.